Quality Lab MgrJob ID GBU008290 Winona, Minnesota, United States;
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
Solvay is a multi-specialty chemical company committed to developing chemistry that addresses key societal challenges. We innovate and partner with customers in diverse global end markets. Solvay Composite Materials combines 50 years of technology heritage to bring a comprehensive product portfolio, expertise in material design, and extensive process engineering solutions to our customers. As the partner of choice for advanced materials development, we deliver optimal material solutions to address our customers’ most challenging demands for new high-performance materials to improve durability and production, while offering weight savings for the end application.
Lab Manager will provide quality engineering support to the assigned processes and essential functions. Tasks include overall responsibility, process control, variation reduction and capital planning & execution for the labs. Tasks also include limited responsibility for quality engineering support as defined in the Quality Systems Procedures and MOC as defined by SHE standards.
Job Overview and Responsibilities
The incumbent reports to the Quality Manager. The incumbent interfaces with various other functional groups within the organization, customers and suppliers. The major focus of the position is to support the labs and its needs. It is the lab manager’s job to oversee operations of the labs equipment and personnel while troubleshooting any issue that may arise. The position will also involve understanding customer needs and to meet and exceed those needs by supporting and improving manufacturing processes.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND END RESULTS EXPECTED
• Provide daily engineering support on process equipment to meet production schedule requirements.
• Measure process/product capability and develop actions to reduce causes of variation using Six Sigma tools.
• Develop and train operators on process work instructions.
• Maintain lab job qualifications and process work instructions.
• Create work instructions and make modifications as needed within the guidelines of the Quality Change Control Procedure.
• Improve plant capacity, utilization and efficiencies by being a champion of preventive maintenance programs.
• Provide engineering know-how to support SHE requirements such as MOC, PHA's, PSM and HAZ Ops.
• Ensure equipment is operationally safe and meets environmental regulatory requirements.
• Create line of site metrics and share with operators key variables on key process equipment and plan performance.
• Continually improve process performance using Green Belt/Black Belt Six Sigma tools.
• Ensure standard operating procedures and product consistency requirements are being achieved using area supervision and team leaders.
• Investigate non-conformances and provide effective cause and corrective actions.
• Investigate customer corrective actions to ensure root cause(s) has been identified and effective corrective actions are taken.
• Responsible for the oversight of QSP 11 Control of Monitoring and Measuring devices. (Calibration)
• Support and participate in internal audits as they relate to their area of responsibility.
• Support audits: internal, customer and ISO
• Leads the Nadcap preparation and actual audit while Nadcap audit is performed
• As directed by Quality Manager to support Key X' s and CEM' s vision..
• Participates in bi-weekly Ship pad meetings regarding schedules and updates of work load and priorities of the labs.
Education and Experience
- Four-year technical degree preferably in Engineering.
- Previous leadership and supervisory experience.
- High degree of problem solving skills utilizing statistical and analytical methods.
- Must be able to work individually or in a team environment to solve problems with process equipment and finished product.
- Strong communication skills.
- High motivation and self-starting abilities.
Our recruitment process
If you’d like to find out more about what happens next with your application or get some tips on how to complete it, please click ‘Recruitment Process’ below. Alternatively, if you are experiencing difficulties in completing or sending your application, help is available. Simply click ‘Request Support’.