Maintenance TechnicianJob ID 10202 University Park, Illinois, United States;
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
Job Overview and Responsibilities:
Education and Experience:
5+ years of experience in the emphasis area (Millwright or Pipefitter)
- Successful completion of the Solvay, University Park Maintenance Technician Competency list including any hands-on skill tests
- Must be able to calculate surfaces, volumes, weights, and measures.
- Must be able to read and understand safety rules, company policies and procedure manuals.
- Must be able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form, able to read and interpret a variety of diagrams, blueprints, and operational manuals of shop tools and equipment.
- Must be able to perform basic math using application of fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions with algebra and geometric constructions.
- Must be able to document activities such as work completed or inspection observations on forms or work orders using legible handwriting and understandable verbiage.
- Must understand and comply with all permit requirements.
- Must be able to read/understand Piping and Instrumentation Drawings in order to identify flows and equipment.
- Must be able to read and understand equipment specification sheets.
- Must be able to utilize
the computer and be familiar with email, spreadsheets, and PDF file formats
GENERAL / UTILITIES
- Test fabricated and installed equipment to ensure adequacy of repair and safe operation upon commissioning
- Advise management on whether continued operation of equipment could be hazardous
- Use a variety of tools and equipment such as power bender, measuring devices, power tools, and testing equipment
- Lift and rig equipment and piping
- Work from ladders, scaffolds, and roofs to install, maintain or repair equipment, and fixtures
- Operate fork lift to transport work or maneuver equipment as necessary
- Operate man lift, scissor lift or ladder to safety position self at a height to complete a task
- Coordinate repairs with production to ensure work site has been prepared to avoid interfering with activities of other workers
- Proficient in the operations, general maintenance and capable or maintaining controls within prescribed limits for plant utility equipment.
- Perform periodic inspections, including but not limited to: eye wash & safety showers inspections, Alarms and other alarms, emergency exit light and sign testing, and other miscellaneous safety inspections
- Perform routine preventative maintenance tasks, including but not limited to: pump lubrication, routine fluid checks, heat transfer equipment de-scaling, filter replacement, etc.
- Perform basic mechanical work, including but not limited to: strainer / filter cleaning, fuse replacement/resetting breakers, belt replacement, replacement of valves / piping / gaskets “in kind” following applicable standards, hose and hose reel repairs, resetting circuit breakers, etc.
- Perform related general facility maintenance, including but not limited to: Snow removal, painting, air and water filter replacement, light bulb replacement, piping and equipment demolition, and other general work including housekeeping activities and HVAC maintenance
- Operate company vehicles safely while picking up supplies off site
- Assist craftspeople (Solvay or contract) to successfully complete assigned tasks
- Support / adhere to all quality system requirements.
- Design, fabricate and install foundations and support for rotating equipment
- Install, using all appropriate techniques, all types of equipment to the highest industry and Solvay standards
- Rebuild all types of equipment back to original condition meeting all of the original equipment standards and specifications
- Accurately align shafts to the accepted industry standards for excellence, using dial indicators and/or laser alignment equipment
- Accurately diagnose and correct equipment problems with minimal information
- Safely replace small (25 hp or less) 240/480VAC motors
- Assemble and install a variety of rotating and other equipment; may use big and small cranes, chain fall, or come-a-long to position work
- Perform related metal working tasks as required to manufacture supports, shields, etc., needed for safe, reliable repairs and installation of rotating equipment
·Position and clamp components of fabricated metal products in preparation for welding
·Assemble and install a variety of pipe, tube, and equipment; may use big and small cranes, chain fall, or come-a-long to position work
·Assemble pipe using threaded, caulked, soldered, brazed, fused, or cemented joints and hand tools
·Secure pipe to structure using brackets, clamps, and hangers
·Cut pipe and steel using saw, pipe cutter, hammer and chisel, cutting torch, or pipe cutting / threading machine
·Bend and install instrumentation stainless steel tubing
·Follow applicable specifications, particularly piping specifications, such that piping is installed to standard
Our recruitment process
If you’d like to find out more about what happens next with your application or get some tips on how to complete it, please click ‘Recruitment Process’ below. Alternatively, if you are experiencing difficulties in completing or sending your application, help is available. Simply click ‘Request Support’.