Application Engineer, Industrial MineralsJob ID GBU004400 United States;
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
The Application Engineer serves as an interface between R&I and Sales/Marketing. As such, there is a close working relationship with R&I to help develop new/existing technology, provide feedback to R&I from customers/industry, and supply ‘key’ insight into the practical application of the technology. The position also works closely with Sales, and external customers, to provide technical expertise and guidance in the application of Solvay technology.
● Maintain detailed technical knowledge of customer application to ensure trouble-free use of Solvay products in the customer’s operation.
● Design, supervise, conduct complex laboratory test work, pilot plant runs, and plant trials. Review and analyze results of experimental programs/plant trials, issue detailed reports (with and without manager)
● Conduct training for company and customer staff regarding Solvay's products safety and applications.
● Actively participate on NPI teams as team member or as a team leader when appropriate.
● Works on complex problems or programs and develops practical, cost effective solutions. Incorporate statistical and experimental design methods to concurrently investigate multi-variable effects and hypotheses.
● Contribute to safe operation and productivity of ATG team, and its compliance of all Federal, local, company and customer environmental and safety regulations
● Capable of applying/testing froth flotation reagents on both a lab and plant scale. Optimizing reagent performance across flotation circuits.
● Develop into global expert in application of Solvay IM technology.
● 30-50% of travel required
Education & Experience:
● B.S. in Metallurgical/Mineral or Chemical Engineering.
● Preferred Advanced Degree in Metallurgical/Mineral or Chemical Engineering.
● Two to Five years of experience in mineral/metallurgical processing settings, can include R&D, technical services, plant operations or engineering and design assignments.
● Experience in the mineral processing industry; preferably in the area of Industrial Minerals such as Phosphate, Iron ore, Soda ash, or Potash.
● In-depth knowledge of mineral processing and basic knowledge of mineralogy and geology. Proficient in one or more areas of mineral processing.
● Advanced computer software skills and knowledge of statistics.
● Ability to write clear and concise reports.
● Ability to work with little supervision.
● Strong communication skills.
● Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
● Hands-on lab skills are required.
● Well-organized and completes tasks on time.
● High regard for safety
Safety & Physical Requirements:
● Understand and follow key Solvay safety policies and procedures for the site, including but not limited to the following:
Emergency Response / Evacuation Guidelines
Visitor Safety Policy
● Demonstrate a commitment to safety
● Attend monthly safety training
● Know the location of first aid and emergency response equipment, chemicals, and chemical documentation.
● Obtain equipment or process specific safety training as necessary according to the specific hazards
● Periods of long standing an laboratory benches and/or in plant processing areas (periodic shift coverage).
● Comfortable working with, and on, reagent dosing equipment: pumps, mixers, hoses, valves, gauges.
● Occasional heavy lifting (50-100 lbm).