Polymer Research ScientistJob ID 11203 Stamford, Connecticut, United States;
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
Job Overview and Responsibilities:
This full-time position is responsible for supporting the development of new technology platforms and associated new products to address evolving unmet market and customer needs in core and adjacent markets for global customers.
Execution of projects aligned with the Polymer Additives business/technology strategy
Validate, develop, and advance New Platform Technologies to be the source of future differentiated proprietary products
Lead cross-functional project team to develop new products for addressing unmet needs in core and adjacent markets as Project Leader
Develop, analyze, and make sound conclusions on projects and apply learnings in projects
Responsible for identifying IP potential for platforms and applications and file patent application if appropriate
Maintain up-to-date project folders and project data spreadsheets
Stay up-to-date with technical development, market trends, and customer/market unmet needs in core and adjacent market segments
Responsible for patent and literature monitoring (competitors and major customers)
Present new products at conferences and engage in innovation dialogue with key customers
Develop high level of industry knowledge in all core market segments
Develop subject matter expertise in at least one market segment (to be designated)
Write company reports and monthly reports
Other duties as assigned
Understand and follow key Solvay safety policies and procedures
Demonstrate a commitment to safety
Attend monthly safety training
Know the location of first aid and emergency response equipment, chemicals, and chemical documentation
Obtain equipment or process specific safety training as necessary according to the specific hazards
Education and Experience:
- Minimum B.S. degree in chemistry, polymer science, polymer chemistry, or relevant science or engineering field
- 3+ years of hands-on lab work experience in an technical area
- Practical polymer formulation and polymer processing experience preferred
- Polymer Processing: Extrusion, Injection Molding, Rotomolding, heated press
- Polymer Testing: MFI, Color, Gloss, physical properties
- Testing Protocols: Weathering, thermal ageing
- Proactive, takes initiative, entrepreneurial, dynamic, flexible and able to multitask
- Problem solving and troubleshooting skills required
- Analytical skills: This role requires special insight into analysis of data: Analytical data interpretation: TGA/DSC, SEM, HPLC/GC, FTIR,
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Presentation skills
- Project leadership skills
- Ability to work in a team setting
- Ability to engage in innovation dialogues with customersetc.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and keep projects on target and on schedule
- Customer focus: candidate required to be dedicated and sensitive to the customer needs.
Our recruitment process
If you’d like to find out more about what happens next with your application or get some tips on how to complete it, please click ‘Recruitment Process’ below. Alternatively, if you are experiencing difficulties in completing or sending your application, help is available. Simply click ‘Request Support’.