Business CounselJob ID 9409 Princeton, New Jersey, United States;
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
Job Overview and Responsibilities:
The Business Counsel will provide corporate and commercial law support to the North American operations of certain assigned business units and corporate functions, especially the purchasing team.The position will report to a senior business law counsel located in Princeton, New Jersey. The Business Counsel will have direct client contact and be expected to independently advise experienced business professionals in the execution of a variety of commercial transactions in a manner to achieve business goals while protecting the company’s interests.
•Support the business activities of the clients, including negotiating and drafting of sales, purchasing, distribution and tolling agreements, and providing contract analysis with respect to existing contractual commitments
•Analyze and advise on a broad range of legal and business liability and risk exposures with respect to clients’ business strategies, commercial arrangements, manufacturing operations and marketing plans, including the ability to “issue spot” antitrust, export control, intellectual property and compliance issues. As these issues are identified, collaborate with internal experts in the Legal & Compliance and Intellectual Asset Management functions to address them
•Provide advice and counsel with respect to supplier and commercial disputes and potential business settlements of the same in collaboration with in-house litigation counsel
•Where authorized, engage and manage outside counsel, including task definition, staffing expectations and fee arrangements
•Manage approval workflow for contracts and projects in accordance with Company authorization levels
•Conduct training of business personnel in North America as requested (antitrust, anti-bribery, contact with competitors, code of conduct, ethics, etc.)
•Support initiatives undertaken by the North American Legal & Compliance function
Education and Experience:
- JD degree from an accredited U.S. law school
- Admission to the New Jersey Bar or eligible to obtain a New Jersey limited in-house counsel license
- Minimum 4 years of experience in corporate/business law at a law firm and/or as in-house attorney
- Strong analytical and problem-solving ability
- Strong contract drafting skills, including the ability to draft original language and to develop and modify templates to meet commercial objectives
- Commercial Real Estate experience an advantage
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels within a client’s business organization
- Ability to provide legal support as a part of a team with substantive experts
- Comfortable working in a multi-national, multi-cultural professional environment
Our recruitment process
If you’d like to find out more about what happens next with your application or get some tips on how to complete it, please click ‘Recruitment Process’ below. Alternatively, if you are experiencing difficulties in completing or sending your application, help is available. Simply click ‘Request Support’.