Quality Control Lab ManagerJob ID GBU005057 Baltimore, Maryland, United States;
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
Novecare develops leading edge technologies that affect the behavior of fluids to give them cleansing, softening, moisturizing, hydrating, gelling, texturizing, penetrating or dispersing properties. Its products are found in shampoos, detergents, paints, lubricants, plant protection, mining and oil extraction.
The Quality Control Lab Manager will be responsible for maintaining a site specific quality system to assure that all products manufactured by the organization meet customer specifications and achieve superior quality and reliability levels. This includes the supervision of quality technicians as well as maintaining technical and scientific support to the operation/production group.
- Follow all plant HSE rules, policies and procedures. Communicates any safety concerns to HSE Specialist.
- Maintain safe working conditions and practices in the quality control laboratory.
- Manage the work of quality assurance and quality control personnel, providing training and development opportunities where necessary. Identify opportunities to improve efficiency.
- Develop site quality objectives and communicate them to plant personnel. Establish approach to meeting site quality objectives. Report progress toward achievement of quality objectives.
- Develop, maintain, and implement site specific quality systems with respect to established internal specifications (ISO 9001).
- Oversee plant controlled documents to ensure compliance to review schedule.
- Provide guidance to the lead auditor in establishing internal audit schedule, direction and actions to address non-conformances.
- Host third party quality audits.
- Interact with plant departments to maintain quality of incoming raw materials and manufactured finished products.
- Review analytical data to identify trends and improvement opportunities.
- Lead investigation and documentation of product non-conformances and customer complaints. Determine the disposition all non-conforming product. Identify causes, implement corrective and preventive actions and perform effectiveness verifications.
- Lead quality assurance/quality control components of technology transfers, establishing new analytical tests and documentation for new products.
- Maintain and troubleshoot laboratory equipment to ensure suitability for use to support manufacturing.
- Fully participate in plant HSE initiatives including performing periodic audits and housekeeping inspections.
- Instill discipline and accountability in the execution of all procedures, especially Life Critical procedures. Lead this effort by example.
- Enforce Solvay Life Savings Rules and all other site safety rules and procedures within the operations departments, other plant personnel, as well as contractors that are working onsite. Lead by example.
- Assure appropriate HSE training is provided to all direct and indirect reports.
- Assure all safety inspections and audits are performed and documented.
- Assure Process Safety process and program, including integrity aspects, are maintained and adhered to.
- Conduct periodic inspections to assure compliance to existing safety rules and procedures and to assess the effectiveness and need for other risk reduction activities within the departments.
- Participate in regulatory and internal audits as needed.
- Represent Solvay through daily actions that reinforce the corporate values demonstrating personal commitment to a safe, healthy and environmentally sound workplace for employees.
- Conduct or direct the completion of investigations of incidents or near misses, as appropriate, and insure corrective actions are identified, assigned, and completed.
The position is principally performed indoors in a traditional chemical manufacturing setting. Daily activities will include visiting the plant & warehouse facilities. Activities include extended periods of standing, working at a computer monitor and performing laboratory testing using common laboratory reagents. Occasional lifting of products (25-30 lbs)
- Bachelor’s degree in Analytical Chemistry, or related science.
- 7-10 years in Quality lab. Three+ years managing technician level staff preferred. Flexibility depending on candidate experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office-Excel, Word, PowerPoint required, Access desirable.
- Experience with a LIMS system, SAP desired.
- Experience in performing chemical manufacturing auditing and hosting 3rd party or regulatory audits.
- Experience with analytical instrumentation (HPLC, GC, FTIR, UV/Vis, KF, titrators).
- Experience in microbiology is a plus.
- Ability to lead a team and develop talent
Our recruitment process
If you’d like to find out more about what happens next with your application or get some tips on how to complete it, please click ‘Recruitment Process’ below. Alternatively, if you are experiencing difficulties in completing or sending your application, help is available. Simply click ‘Request Support’.