Synthetic Polymer ChemistJob ID SPP000414 Alpharetta, Georgia, United States;
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
Solvay is a multi-specialty chemical company committed to developing chemistry that addresses key societal challenges. We innovate and partner with customers in diverse global end markets. With over 1,500 products, Specialty Polymers offers the widest range of high performance polymers in the world, allowing tailor-made solutions such as pushing the limits of metal replacement in the electronics, automotive, aircraft and healthcare industries. The GBU has unparalleled expertise in three technologies: aromatic polymers, high barrier polymers and fluoropolymers.
Job Overview and Responsibilities
The Synthetic Polymer Chemist/Research Scientist will lead research and innovation projects supporting new polymer developments for Solvay Specialty Polymers, within the Technology Platforms group. This role will be based out of Alpharetta, GA
• Apply a strong synthetic background and deep understanding of structure property relationships to invent, develop, and characterize new polymer architectures aligned with our growth initiatives.
• Keep a safe workplace, demonstrate leadership in driving safety behaviors in the workplace
• Identify and propose new research spaces and opportunities in developing new materials.
• Lead R&D projects and maintain a portfolio of projects using project management software.
• Work closely with internal/external analytical teams to characterize the structure and properties of newly synthesized polymeric materials.
• Understand the literature, patent literature, and state-of-the art in organic and polymer synthesis to identify the best way to meet specific project objectives.
• Develop new intellectual property, work with IP personnel to patent developed technology.
• Communicate research findings via written technical reports and oral presentations.
• Guide project work established between Solvay and external collaborators including academia and start-up companies.
• Serve as a subject matter expert to help the business and marketing make sound business decisions through analysis of external technologies of interest.
• Coach and provide opportunities to foster the professional growth of research technicians. Oversee the day-to-day activities of research technicians.
Education and Experience
• Ph.D. in Polymer Chemistry
• Experience with polymer synthesis, organic synthesis, analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, polymer physics, and statistical design of experiments/data analysis.
• Minimal travel will be required for this role (5%).
• Experience with Polycondensation
• Broad knowledge in Organic Chemistry, Polymer Science, Materials, and Engineering
• Strong technical problem-solving skills
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
• Insight and technical vision
• Strong communication skills
• Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
• Demonstrated leadership ability
• Impact & Influence
Entry level (0 to 2 years)
Our recruitment process
If you’d like to find out more about what happens next with your application or get some tips on how to complete it, please click ‘Recruitment Process’ below. Alternatively, if you are experiencing difficulties in completing or sending your application, help is available. Simply click ‘Request Support’.